Gloria Grahame was such a unusual actress. Unconventional beauty a slightly wacky high voice yet she was a remarkable actress who knew how to dominate the screen.

The more movies I see starring Gloria Grahame, the more impressed I am by her. First time I saw her in a movie, she seemed like another pretty girl with an annoying voice but boy was I wrong, her acting is incredible.

I watched In a Lonely Place and she is excellent in that. Her character is a bit mysterious and elusive in the beginning but then we warm up to her and in the second half where she takes the central role, she blew me away. The scene where she suspects Humphrey Bogart may be a killer and she's panicking or her last scene in the movie, it's art, and I still think that was the role that should have won her the Oscar, not her okay but forgettable turn in THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

Other great performances from her: the gangster moll who gets her face burned in THE BIG HEAT, Jack Palance's murderous mistress in SUDDEN FEAR, the tragic femme fatale in HUMAN DESIRE or the helpful lonely girl from CROSSFIRE.

Her divorce from Nicholas Ray, and then marrying his son, as well as the infamous turn as Ado Annie in OKLAHOMA killed her movie career.

submitted by /u/Gaze_Celluloid
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/14lgblk/gloria_grahame_was_such_a_unusual_actress/

Comments