The trope of teens and young adults desperate to distance themselves from their parents in American movies

Dunno if it's a cultural thing or maybe I'm just a freak, but I always though how weird it is seeing this disconnect between parents and their sons/daughters in American films (and TV shows).

I mean, me being an asian in Brazil (brazilians naturally bond well with their parents and relatives, and asians are asians about theirs), it's so odd seeing the same old trope of highschoolers being ashamed or straight up hating being around and living with their folks, who are sometimes portrayed as dumb and super oldfashioned people.

I rarely see a united family.

Maybe it's cause it's easier to tell stories with broken relationships instead of perfect ones, at least for starters, but I see them so many times it's kind of a tiresome cliché.

So my question is: Is this close to the real world, or is this just for storytelling purpose?

Or am I not aware of films with perfectly normal families in them?

Edit: typo

submitted by /u/gmoshiro
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/13nzfh8/the_trope_of_teens_and_young_adults_desperate_to/

Comments