The Quiet Girl

I am very late to the game and watching this movie but I felt that I must comment, which I never did here actually.

I'm two-thirds of the way through this movie, and it is indeed a beautifully-shot movie with high-caliber actors, but my comment is more about the attitude toward the girl and her shyness.

It occurred to me that the father "shot down" anyone who teased her about it or mentioned that she was so quiet. He would defend her in his gentle way and I found that refreshing. I was a child 100 years ago and my shyness/quietness was met with more of disdain like it was abnormal or something. People would comment like in this film but instead of rebutting them, my mother would agree and always want me to be outgoing for some unknown reason. This was very detrimental to my upbringing and did more damage than not.

I just found it beautiful that the father figure was so understanding and loving about it. They were sitting on the beach and I realized the acceptance he was showing and I was taken aback. After all those years, it feels like maybe I wasn't broken as a kid, lol. It was a beautiful moment that I had to share. I'm not sure why.

Did this hit home with anyone else? Just wondering.

submitted by /u/Cleopatrashouseboy
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/11w57yh/the_quiet_girl/

Comments