John Carter (2012) I know I'm not the first to recommend it, but I would urge you to give it a chance.

I heard it got bad marketing and it flopped hard. But it reminds me alot of Tron Legacy. Same deal. It was an expensive blockbuster type film that did not do well. But it gained a big following over time, for good reason. By the way I was someone that laughed at the idea of a big budget Tron sequel back in the day, only to LOVE it years later.

I've seen many posts over the years in favor of John Carter, and I knew I'd have to give it a shot one day. I watched it today! I was scared of scenes dragging out, many clichés and all of that.

I'm telling you. It was snappy! Great production values. No shaky cam or cheap editing. Furthermore I loved the cast. Some of them (the main characters really) were new to me. Others veteran actors. I think it all comes down to the direction. If you have actors that are capable, a good director can bring out the best in them.

I loved it. Got me in the feels too. I think if you loved a film like Tron Legacy, then give this one a chance. It sure surprised me. This is coming from someone that hates most Disney films by the way haha. Objectively I might give it a 7.8 out of 10. Subjectively maybe 8.5 out of 10.

Even if it doesn't get a sequel, it feels like a great self contained story. Give it a shot!

Also full disclosure, I never read the stories of John Carter. I only heard Carl Sagan talk about it in Cosmos. So I'm not a John Carter purist.

submitted by /u/picknicksje85
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/11eo7tf/john_carter_2012_i_know_im_not_the_first_to/

Comments