M3GAN, finally showed me how subject matter can make a movie scary.

I've been watching horror movies my whole life, my mom is a scary flick addict and its all she watches, I was raised watching whatever she could find in blockbuster, on tv or in theaters.

one series though really messed me up as a kid, "Child Play". Chucky was and still does get to me, and I say that as a 36yr old man. specifically the first 2 films, nowadays hes just kinda silly scary. kid me just couldnt figure out how or why he worked, chucky was evil incarnate to me, a doll, a murderer who could scamper off and fuckin kill you at any moment.

skip ahead to megan, i'm a techie, i work with computers all day, i get them. my mom is allergic to tech, shes bad with her phone and if the roku acts up she gets sad and just gives up til someone fixes it, if you placed a laptop in her lap she'd consider that an insult and you an enemy.

I mention that because she watched Megan and it shocked her to her core, i wasnt expecting that, she watched horror classics like they were nothing, but megan? for the first time in years i saw her get uneasy, then it made sense, she cant stand tech and a doll thats powered by it, listens, learns...her worse nightmare.

she understood chucky was a killer who voodoo'd himself into a doll, big woop. she doesnt get why someone would make anything like megan and then leave it be(she's a mom mom, loves her kids)seeing her change her voice and trick people and do so many other things floored her, for me it was neat to see how a flick can get at someones real fears in such an acute way.

submitted by /u/kira7setsuna
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/10pbl8u/m3gan_finally_showed_me_how_subject_matter_can/

Comments