Society (1989): WTF did I just watch?

I've seen a lot of strange movies over the past few days including Nothing But Trouble (1991) and Freaked (1993). I continued that trend with 1989's Society, a movie I only became aware of a few days prior.

The movie was directed by Brian Yuzna who is known for producing horror films like Re-Animator and From Beyond. He also produced and co-wrote Honey I Shrunk the Kids which I found interesting. As far as his other directing work, he's mostly done sequels like Bride of Re-Animator, Silent Night Deadly Night 4, and Return of the Living Dead 3 alongside other horror movies I've never heard of.

The movie itself was good. I liked the sense of mystery and dread that was present throughout. Sure, the tension may not be as strong as in a David Fincher thriller, but Yuzna does enough to keep you hooked. You know something bad is going to happened based on the poster and movie description but I didn't expect it be as twisted as what we got.

The last 20 minutes is when the movie completely blows its load on you. I couldn't believe what I was watching. How have I not heard of this movie? This is nuts. But I guess that's what good body horror will do to you.

Anybody else see Society?

submitted by /u/ggroover97
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ych9ei/society_1989_wtf_did_i_just_watch/

Comments