RocknRolla (2008)

I've been waiting a while for this film to come to a streaming service, and it did this month on HBOMax.

Having absolutely loved "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels", and "Snatch", and enjoyed "Revolver" (though it has some weird issues), I was eager to see another Guy Ritchie British crime movie.

And that the movie is. I very much enjoyed it, but had a hard time not comparing it to Snatch and L,S&2 Smoking Barrels. I thought as I was watching I would have probably adored this movie if it was the first one of Ritchie's movies I had seen.

Great cast, with Gerard Butler in the ostensible lead of this big ensemble cast. Mark Strong plays a typically great Mark Strong role. Tom Wilkinson is great as the big boss, who has to play second fiddle though to brutal Russian billionaire. Idris Elba has a small but fun part. But the standout for me was Thandiwe Newton. She exudes cool. That dance scene!

A topical observation I had while watching is how current events in Ukraine have made this big bad Russian oligarch character much more unlikely in real life going forward, I'd think.

And yes, there's no sequel yet to this film, and I doubt there ever will be.

What did you think? If you haven't seen it, but you enjoyed any of Ritchie's other movies, I bet you'd like this one too.

submitted by /u/MoreGull
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/xkc61e/rocknrolla_2008/

Comments