Why is Saving Private Ryan so much more stressful to watch than Band of Brothers (and other war films)?

I just rewatched SPR and then started on a BoB rewatch. I realized that SPR has me tense and worried the whole time, but I’m much more relaxed during BoB (even the heavier episodes with lots of fighting). It’s even to the extent where I can binge BoB for some nice family holiday viewing. SPR I have to be ready lol.

I can’t quite put my finger on why. Is it just that with BoB they had the chance to spread the rough stuff out more? I was also comparing it to Dunkirk which is paced like a thriller. Dunkirk has me on the edge of my seat, but SPR somehow has me dreading the bad stuff without being paced like that.

Do people feel the same way? Any thoughts on what directing choices make it like this?

submitted by /u/3day_potato_salad
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/wc6t3v/why_is_saving_private_ryan_so_much_more_stressful/

Comments