Anybody else had that experience of watching a popular movie many decades after everyone else and feeling like you've been spoiled by its cultural influence?

I've recently watched Silence of the Lambs and Aliens for the first time and I've shown my girlfriend Star Wars: A New Hope (we are both in our early 30s if that matters). Every 5 minutes there was a scene we knew we had seen before as a meme-gif or as Simpsons/Family Guy parody but without ever seeing the original context. Or we knew the basic plot points 30 minutes before they happened. It was both fun but also made it harder to take the movie seriously. It also made me feel like somehow watching the movie was unnecessary because I already knew the "best parts" if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I like watching old movies and feeling like I'm in a time machine. I also think some older movies are worth watching because e.g. the acting and emotional hits are timeless. Just seems there is this category of "very very popular movies" that I've inhaled enough through pop culture that I don't need to watch them.

Did you have that experience as well and which movie(s) was it?

submitted by /u/janshi
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/u7bt7u/anybody_else_had_that_experience_of_watching_a/

Comments