I think I finally got the Willy Wonka Rachmaninoff joke. In praise of Rachmaninoff!

I was always confused by Mrs. TV saying "Rachmaninoff" when Wonka plays a bit from the marriage of figaro, which is Mozart and obviously not Rachmaninoff. I haven't listened to a ton of Rachmaninoff because I found the sheet music intimidating and pretty much just avoided it, much to my detriment.

Anyway, I was listening to his piano concerto #2 while cleaning, and I think I get it now. Rachmaninoff is so clearly a source for numerous movie scores, it's unreal. I could hear refrains and themes that I know I've heard in films. We all know that John Williams draws inspiration from Holst, but holy cow, Rachmaninoff needs some props because clearly he has been (pun intended) instrumental in a lot of great mid to late 20th c. soundtracks for films (and still today, really).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJpJ8REjvqo

submitted by /u/TheLadyEve
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/tka47p/i_think_i_finally_got_the_willy_wonka/

Comments