Finally watched Come and See (1985) directed by Elem Klimov…(spoilers)

I have no words. The last time I had such a disturbed feeling was after watching Requiem For a Dream, but Come and See is way more gut-wrenching. The realism of it was so heartbreaking and that Hitler montage at the end to stop at baby Hitler with his mother made this whole thing even more frightening. Realizing any evil person in history used to be a baby is unsettling. Another scene that keeps staying with me was when Florya returned to his village, just for Glasha to see the dead bodies piled up outside of the house. That scene was horrific and I’m somewhat desensitized to disturbing content. Something about the disorienting cinematography added to the horror.

I’ve seen some reviews dislike the film, claiming it’s pure Soviet propaganda (which it is somewhat) and how Partisans are painted as heroes. That review, in a way, glorified Nazis, but I also think that the movie didn’t depict any heroes at all. It just showed the reality from the perspective of ordinary civilians of Belarus. I don’t think I’ll be able to watch this again for a while, but just wanted to write how speechless it left me.

submitted by /u/blueashell
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/tk8te4/finally_watched_come_and_see_1985_directed_by/

Comments