For years I've misread the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - grail scene.

Spoilers?

I've watched Last Crusade several times over the last 30 years. I love the movie. And I've always just figured Elsa was a crazy Nazi and she chose the cup she genuinely thought was the Grail.

Well after all this time I was wrong. I just watched it with my son for his first time yesterday. We've been slowing making our way through movies appropriate for his age and we've finally come to the movies that are his namesake (Henry).

I have a great 4k version and we watched it in my home theater on a 10 foot wall. As we've been watching these movies together I've picked up more new things I've never noticed before. Little details here and there.

This time with Last Crusade we got to the Cup scene. Elsa actually has much more of a character arc than I ever caught on to before. She went from female love interest, to double agent BUT, by the end of the movie, she hates Donovan. You get glimpses of it and when Donovan shoots Henry Sr she even yells no.

So in the Grail room scene, she hears from the Knight that the false cup will kill whomever drinks from it. She decides at that moment this is her way to kill Donovan. Check out the scene, her face turns from happy to calculatingly deceptive:

https://youtu.be/VA7J0KkanzM

It was way more subtle on VHS when I was young! But now its blatant. Maybe I've just been slow, but I thought I'd share.

submitted by /u/texacer
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/t3m3py/for_years_ive_misread_the_end_of_indiana_jones/

Comments