In The Hunt for Red October (1990), how did they create the silo room scene?

I hope this is the right sub for such a question. Because this has had me wondering for a long time.

I'm talking about this take in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3L5tWudRCs&t=43s

​

  • I don't think it's real, since you don't build a set this huge and then only show it in one single take.
  • I don't think it's cgi, since some things (like the ceiling lights) just look too good for 1990.
  • It can't be a matte painting, since the silos are moving relative to each other. Or at least, the first four silos cannot be a painting, since the "6" clearly gets covered up more as the camer moves. It's possible that only the first silos are real and the rest a painting, but in this case, how do you get everything to match up so perfectly in colour, lighting, etc? (Although it's a bit suspicious that the walkway only starts after the second row of silos. Then again, the reason for that might just be so that we can see the ceiling)
  • Maybe Alec Baldwin ist just all alone in front of a bluescreen? I guess the whole room could have just been a model and been filmed seperately from Baldwin. That would require for the cameras to move the exact same way in both setups, but could be possible. But then I have to wonder about details like the lamp on the silo. I mean, if the whole thing is a model, and it has such details like this lamp, wouldn't the whole thing still be kinda huge?

​

And at that point, I'm out of ideas. Every way to do it seems to be hugely expensive. Am I missing some obvious method here?

submitted by /u/MareTranquil
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/sbsjl1/in_the_hunt_for_red_october_1990_how_did_they/

Comments