In The Hunt for Red October (1990), how did they create the silo room scene?

I hope this is the right sub for such a question. Because this has had me wondering for a long time.

I'm talking about this take in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3L5tWudRCs&t=43s

  • I don't think it's real, since you don't build a set this huge and then only show it in one single take.
  • I don't think it's cgi, since some things (like the ceiling lights) just look too good for 1990.
  • It can't be a matte painting, since the silos are moving relative to each other. Or at least, the first four silos cannot be a painting, since the "6" clearly gets covered up more as the camer moves. It's possible that only the first silos are real and the rest a painting, but in this case, how do you get everything to match up so perfectly in colour, lighting, etc? (Although it's a bit suspicious that the walkway only starts after the second row of silos. Then again, the reason for that might just be so that we can see the ceiling)
  • Maybe Alec Baldwin ist just all alone in front of a bluescreen? I guess the whole room could have just been a model and been filmed seperately from Baldwin. That would require for the cameras to move the exact same way in both setups, but could be possible. But then I have to wonder about details like the lamp on the silo. I mean, if the whole thing is a model, and it has such details like this lamp, wouldn't the whole thing still be kinda huge?

And at that point, I'm out of ideas. Every way to do it seems to be hugely expensive. Am I missing some obvious method here?

submitted by /u/MareTranquil
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/sbsjl1/in_the_hunt_for_red_october_1990_how_did_they/

Comments