Korean thrillers

The past few days I've been on a marathon of some of the top recommended Korean thrillers, watched in this order:

Old Boy, The Man from Nowhere, I Saw the Devil, The Chaser

 

I cannot really nail down a favorite since they were all so fantastic. I will say I Saw the Devil and Old Boy have lingered with me the most after the viewings. Perhaps a coincidence that Choi Min-sik is in both of those, who is absolutely excellent and becoming one of my favorite actors.

 

One thing that really sticks with me regarding these Korean films, they are so unrelenting in the brutality. There are countless scenes where as a mostly Hollywood movie viewer, you expect someone to be saved. These films drag scenes along in such a way where you are sure the person will be saved, only to have them killed anyway. This applies to pivotal characters which is even more impactful.

 

Just wanted to share my feelings and excitement for these great films, thanks for reading!

submitted by /u/Warburg
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/rs9tvu/korean_thrillers/

Comments