Monkeybone (2001) is a disturbed masterpiece

Seriously, I love this movie.

The warring of his divided psyche, the ceaseless parade of insanity, and some seriously impressive practical effects work in tandem to make something singular. Brendan Frasier does well as the tortured artist, and as always brings his unique and captivating energy. Some surprising cameos, and seriously weird character interactions all collude to make one incessantly escalating fever dream. The black and white scenes are my favorite part of the film. His artwork was absolutely metal as fuck when he still drew with his right hand, and the fact that he switched to his left hand then started drawing cartoons is such a cool little detail. Just when I think it can't get weirder his penis horny monkey takes over his body and then he's piloting the broken, rotting carcass of a dead man . It's just twisted, I love it.

[Edit] Perhaps "masterpiece" is a tad hyperbolic. I just feel that a lot more work went into it than is recognized, and it represents a director's vision (if even slightly edited for younger audiences). I know that I myself saw it at a young age and it inspires my art and expression to this day.

submitted by /u/hughramsey155
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/pxisev/monkeybone_2001_is_a_disturbed_masterpiece/

Comments