Amadeus (1984) has the best monologues from any movie I've ever seen.

All of the monologues were from the character of Antonio Salieri, the court composer who both admires and envies Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Not only were the monologues well written, they were delivered to perfection by the magnificent F. Murray Abraham who played Antonio Salieri. He also won a well deserved Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for this performance.

Here are the monologues (the text and a link to the scene of the film on YouTube) :

  • Antonio Salieri: [reflecting upon a Mozart score] On the page it looked nothing. The beginning simple, almost comic. Just a pulse. Bassoons and basset horns, like a rusty squeezebox. And then suddenly, high above it, an oboe. A single note, hanging there, unwavering. Until a clarinet took over and sweetened it into a phrase of such delight! This was no composition by a performing monkey! This was a music I'd never heard. Filled with such longing, such unfulfillable longing. It seemed to me that I was hearing the voice of God.

https://youtu.be/nDxrf5UdyWU

  • Antonio Salieri: [reflecting upon Mozart's scores] Astounding! It was actually, it was beyond belief. These were first and only drafts of music, but they showed no corrections of any kind. Not one. He had simply written down music already finished in his head! Page after page of it as if he were just taking dictation. And music, finished as no music is ever finished. Displace one note and there would be diminishment. Displace one phrase and the structure would fall. It was clear to me that sound I had heard in the Archbishop's palace had been no accident. Here again was the very Voice of God! I was staring through the cage of those meticulous ink-strokes at an absolute beauty.

https://youtu.be/th_ro9CiASc

  • Antonio Salieri: [to Father Vogel] So rose the dreadful ghost from his next and blackest opera. There, on the stage, stood the figure of a dead commander. And I knew, only I understood that the horrifying aparition was Leopold, raised from the dead! Wolfgang had actually summoned up his own father to accuse his son before all the world! It was terrifying and wonderful to watch. And now the madness began in me. The madness of the man splitting in half. Through my influence, I saw to it Don Giovanni was played only five times in Vienna. But in secret, I went to every one of those five, worshipping sounds I alone seem to hear. And hour after hour, as I stood there, understanding how that bitter old man was still possessing his poor son even from beyond the grave. I began to see a way, a terrible way, I could finally triumph over God.

https://youtu.be/R0Iv28yYMCc

Antonio Salieri: My plan was so simple. It terrified me. First I must get the death mass and then, I must achieve his death.

Father Vogler: [stares in horror] What?

Antonio Salieri: His funeral! Imagine it, the cathedral, all Vienna sitting there, his coffin, Mozart's little coffin in the middle, and then, in that silence, music! A divine music bursts out over them all. A great mass of death! Requiem mass for Wolfgang Mozart, composed by his devoted friend, Antonio Salieri! Oh what sublimity, what depth, what passion in the music! Salieri has been touched by God at last. And God is forced to listen! Powerless, powerless to stop it! I, for once in the end, laughing at him! [beat] The only thing that worried me was the actual killing. How does one do that? Hmmm? How does one kill a man? It's one thing to dream about it; very different when, when you, when you have to do it with your own hands.

https://youtu.be/xZlGUUuqsJw

submitted by /u/pegasustoonkingdom
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/pex6mv/amadeus_1984_has_the_best_monologues_from_any/

Comments