Two reviews in one for popular movies I only saw this weekend: Heat and Backdraft

SPOILERS if you haven’t seen these

HEAT

A friend of mine turned me off Heat saying it was too long, too boring, etc. I strongly disagree with my friend. This movie is so damn good, I don’t understand where its staunchest critics are coming from. I mean sure, maybe it could’ve been a little shorter but this movie is about characters. It’s not about the heist.

The interplay between Pacino and De Niro is now one of my favourite protagonist/antagonist relationships I’ve seen in film. Both men are on opposite sides of the law but are similar people. If you’ve ever wanted to see character driven drama, I strongly recommend this. It tackles just about every emotion on the spectrum in its 3 hour run time and some bits hit me really hard. I really, really liked the almost romanticism (classical story sense, not love romance) between De Niro and Pacino. Both of them are men who value their jobs above all else - Pacino ruins his marriage chasing De Niro (and just his commitment to being a cop) and De Niro has to walk away from his girlfriend in just the most tragic scene.

I really liked this film a lot more than I expected to, especially the second half of the movie.

BACKDRAFT

My take on this was somewhat, not ruined but altered, by the fact that I had expectations it would be something that it wasn’t. I read the description on IMDB and expected it to be a case of them tracking down an arsonist serial killer. My mistake, no problem of the film.

This was also a great movie. The score really stuck out to me (that’s Hans Zimmer for you). The actors were great (De Niro is also in this), I liked the earlier scene where we get a little montage of the brothers kicking fire ass for a while.

I will say I guessed before it was revealed that the arsonist would be a fireman. It was still a good twist.

While I liked it, I found myself zoning out of the movie in some scenes.

Is it weird that I liked Heat a little more than Backdraft?

submitted by /u/AA005555
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/noq2e8/two_reviews_in_one_for_popular_movies_i_only_saw/

Comments