Can anyone recommend a decent rom com/romance where the main characters are lower class, and are actually portrayed as such?

So I do really like romantic movies and rom coms, I can get with almost all of the corny, tired tropes and still have a good time. What really bugs me is consistently film after film, seeing a main cast of characters who are upper middle class, with studio apartments, exclusive jobs that they just stumble into, and less than zero concern about spending on last minute flights, vacations, or shopping sprees. And then there are the worst offenders, the movies that claim that the main character is behind months on rent, struggling for work, etc. But they still have huge apartments, and what seems like their own interior decorator and thousands of dollars of high end clothing. They also still manage to randomly find new financial opportunities without really trying.

My question is this- should I just accept that movies by nature are not going to be able to capture reality? Or does a more financially realistic romance exist? Could any of y'all fine individuals recommend me one? The only romance I can think of currently that doesn't offend in this way is The Big Sick.

submitted by /u/motya305
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/k2fzrr/can_anyone_recommend_a_decent_rom_comromance/

Comments