Jake Gyllenhaal was absolutely amazing and terrifying in Nightcrawler.

Jake was simply a tour de force here. I mean what an effectively intriguing, yet imposing character. I had no idea what to expect going into it. I love how the scrapyard scene very quickly shows you that he is indeed the antagonist, right from the start (did he straight up murder that guy btw?).

Every time he was onscreen, there was palpable tension, like he was going to snap any moment. It was insane. Especially when he was interacting with his sidekick, I kept thinking "he's totally gonna bash this dude's brains in at some point" because of how annoying/stupid he was being.

I love how we watched him transform from this desperate weirdo begging for a job, to this completely threatening, in-control weirdo, who made everyone do what he said. So many good moments where he just absolutely reeked of psychopathy. The movie does a good job of not making you feel bad for him at any point. He's just shitty and weird from the start, and that just snowballs with every act.

My favorite interaction has to be when he brings the suburban massacre footage to Nina. She tries to lowball him, and then he snaps, and makes her comply with all the demands he has. You could feel her fear at how suddenly unhinged, yet calm he became.

"Now when I say... That I want these things, I mean that I want them, and I don't want to have to ask again. And the last thing that I want Nina... Is for you to do the things that I ask you to do when we're alone in your apartment... Not like the last time!"

submitted by /u/zeoplex
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/jlti8k/jake_gyllenhaal_was_absolutely_amazing_and/

Comments