What "Dunkirk" and "Tenet" partly miss are great and compelling characters that were present in Nolan's previous movies

Now, before you downvote my post, please hear me out: I love Nolan's movies! I've been watching his movies for nearly 15 years and he really is one of the most visionary filmmakers of our time. While watching Nolan's last two movies, I really enjoyed them for how they were made. But since "Dunkirk" it feels like there is something that is holding his movies back. What really made the "The Dark Knight" trilogy, "Inception" and "Interstellar" some of the best movies of all time for me, were it's characters:

When we saw Bale's Bruce Wayne rise and fall as the Batman, I could feel his strugle each time he was pushed to his limits by the movie's villain. I was rooting for him to break the Joker's chaos and to finally get ahead of him. In "Inception" there was the internal struggle and guild of Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) being responsible for his wife's suicide that was a present danger troughout the entire movie. "Interstellar" is perhaps the most emotional of Nolan's movies. I always have tears in my eyes when Murph is begging her farther to stay and when Cooper is seeing the messages of his family, realizing he lost the time he could have had with them he'll never get back.

With this post, I don't wanna say that a movie can't be great if it isn't character driven. But if we looks at some of the highest rated movies of all time, it become evident that most of them did't achieve what they achieved because of a sole emphasis on great visuals and action setpieces, but rather because they all had a story, a journey to tell, with characters the audience could engage with, that go though situations and decisions similar to our life. I hope Christopher Nolan keeps making movies with original ideas, with spectecular scenes we've never seen like this before. But at the same time, I also hope Nolan goes back to a smaller, intimate, character-driven narrative, with characters who don't only serve to carry a larger story, but also tell a story about themselves.

submitted by /u/AdamantiumLive
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ijb7kh/what_dunkirk_and_tenet_partly_miss_are_great_and/

Comments