Watched the Coen Brothers’ 18 films in 18 days.

  1. Fargo: this remains my favorite movie; every aspect of this film works. It is hilarious, touching and gripping. It fails at nothing. “He’s fleeing the interview!”
  2. No Country For Old Men: an incredible thriller with wonderful performances and an amazing villain. You somehow never notice the lack of music. “That’s very linear, Sheriff.”
  3. The Big Lebowski: somehow manages to get funnier every time I watch. “You mean coitus?”
  4. Inside Llewyn Davis: my favorite soundtrack and the funniest asshole I keep hoping will learn his lesson. Oscar Isaac’s facial expressions are great. “Where’s his scrotum?”
  5. Blood Simple: an incredible debut. Love that 80s theme and the opening narration. “I haven’t done anything funny.”

Burn After Reading is imperfect but hilarious, Miller’s Crossing is just magnificent, Barton Fink is mysterious and a bit frightening, O Brother has my second favorite soundtrack, A Serious Man is frustrating but keeps growing on me (“Is it F Troop?”).

Raising Arizona is charming but the second half slows it down, The Hudsucker Proxy is now my go-to NYE film, True Grit is good but forgettable. The Man Who Wasn’t There is solid but should be better, Intolerably Cruelty is silly but fun, Ballad of Buster Scruggs is good but not one I’ll revisit much; Hail Caesar is pretty forgettable (except for Laurence Laurentz).

Least favorite? Easiest thing in the world. The Ladykillers. Still a fun watch. The Coens are remarkable.

TL;DR The Coens are amazing; Fargo is nearly flawless and even their lesser films have some memorable moments

submitted by /u/MacReadyForAnything
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ij23x5/watched_the_coen_brothers_18_films_in_18_days/

Comments