Memento (2000). I have a question.

I finished watching Memento for the first time last night and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. This genuinely might be the best film I’ve ever seen and I’m not sure anything else can top it.

I just have a question on one of the huge theories: Leonard is Sammy.

This theory makes sense to me, and to everyone else it seems. It’s plausible. I’ve heard it go as so: The rape & break in actually happened, but Leonard’s wife did not die. Leonard kills one of the rapists, and the other injures him and runs off. He gets short term memory loss, and the Sammy story lines continues: his wife doesn’t want to believe that he’s actually got this condition so tests him by making him give her insulin shots. He ends up killing her and can’t handle the guilt and trauma so makes himself believe that she actually died on the night of the rape/break in - and now he begins his hunt for the 2nd rapist, right?

This is supported by Teddy telling Leonard that it was Leonard who ripped out some pages from the police report (which would include the sections of him killing his wife), and the fact that he already killed the 2nd rapist - John G - when Teddy helped him the first time.

That’s accurate-ish, right?

My question is - we all believe that Sammy did exist and was someone that Leonard investigated for lying about his condition & car accident, but did not actually have a wife or anything like that.

So

Why does Leonard have “remember Sammy Jekins” tattood on his hand???

My initial theory - which I felt like made a lot of sense - was that he had this tattood on his hand so he’d always remember to give his life a purpose, otherwise he’d end up like Sammy and just he sat in a chair not doing anything forever.

But if Sammy was indeed a fraud like Teddy tells him, and that ‘Sammy killing his wife’ was actually Leonard killing his wife with the insulin shots, then why does Leonard always want to remind himself of this random dude he investigated when he worked at the insurance company?

Thanks all for any answers and theories.

Also if anyone knows any other mindfuck clever films like this please let me know because I truly believe I might have just found my number 1 film.

submitted by /u/deadassmf
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ikc0q1/memento_2000_i_have_a_question/

Comments