Uncut Gems (2019) seems to be one of the most polarizing films in the past few years. Tell me what it was you loved and/or hated about it and please explain why.

I normally enjoy watching antiheroes because, while their flaws are meant to be obvious and prevalent throughout the story, the audience is still sympathetic towards them, usually due to at least one redeemable quality. I felt no sympathy towards Howard and found not one redeemable quality in his character. He makes one poor and selfish decision after another throughout the film and never learns. There is no arc, no growth to his character and by the end of the film I had grown indifferent to his outcome after having been angry at every decision he had made at every turn. One of the first rules of storytelling is to have your audience or reader care about your character(s). I tried not to write off his character too soon but after the film was already more than halfway over and I had felt nothing but disdain towards him up to that point it was hard not to digress to mere apathy.

Whether you liked the film or not, I'd like to hear your take on it and why? I stress why? because I really do want to understand others' views on this film as it seems to be quite polarizing.

submitted by /u/capn_cook_yo
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/gua43m/uncut_gems_2019_seems_to_be_one_of_the_most/

Comments