Who was the first film villain you truly sympathized with?

When I was 12 I saw a film my friend was openly mocking and decided to rent it to get a laugh. What I didn't know was that said movie would have a big impact on me, both with its themes, tone and more importantly it's villain named Roy Batty, that movie was the directors cut of Blade Runner.

It may have something to do with how Rutger Hauer, protracted the character but for the first time in my life I truly felt an emotion for a movie antagonist that I never had before. Of course Roy does horrible things, he's the villain after all, but something about the quest for finding a way to fix the bad hand he had been dealt in life spoke to me. This all of course culminates in that awesome apartment fight. Where yet again for the first time in my life I found myself actually crying for the villain.

So I want to know what villain made an impact like this on you and what made you sympathize with them.

submitted by /u/toastyavocado
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ga1ni3/who_was_the_first_film_villain_you_truly/

Comments