This Leap Day, I decided to watch Chungking Express (重慶森林) for the first time...

...And I'm officially in love with it. The mood, the tones, the narrative, the characterization: it blends together so well, and I'm in love with this movie. As a Hong Konger, seeing a landmark portrayed through the eyes of Wong Kar-wai (王家衛)...it felt so good. It felt so good that I want to share my thoughts around it, and I hope that you will also watch it and have your own personal special experience of Hong Kong...at least through this film.

The two stories are very simple, yet told in an artistic way that keeps even the most basic viewer entertained throughout. The actors have such natural chemistry and work well with each other, though I love Tony Leung (梁朝偉) and Faye Wong (王菲)'s story the best. I love how it portrays the simple lives of these people, and yet the moments they meet, though brief, remain the most impactful and memorable.

I love how the emotions really connected to me, and yet the stories are just as strong to not be dominated by it. Wong Kar-wai manages to balance emotion, style, and story effectively, making it a powerful yet simple viewing.

I feel like this was his transitional film from commercial to arthouse, as the two stories portray the different styles of Wong Kar-wai from his earlier films As Tears Go By and Days of Being Wild. In fact, each story had its own cinematographer. Andrew Lau (劉偉強, director of Infernal Affairs/無間道), who shot As Tears Go By, shot the first story; meanwhile, Christopher Doyle (杜可風), who shot 7 of his films (from Days of Being Wild to 2046), shot the second story. I like how, despite the viewable difference in style, it is still his voice throughout both. It is such a perfect mix.

I love how the stories never overstay its welcome. Though it may be brief, each story feel likes it has the perfect length. There is never a fixed conclusion, but its endings are satisfying as both stories portray a moment revolving two people in Hong Kong. That's all it is: a moment. Just enjoy the moment while it lasts.

Personally, I prefer this more than In the Mood for Love, a later film from Wong Kar-wai. I know that that is his greatest film as according to most cinephiles, but to me, at least currently, Chungking Express may be my personal favourite of Hong Kong Cinema. Also, I've never been a big fan of Wong Kar-wai, but I know and acknowledge that his style is influential. In terms of his films that I've watched (excluding Chungking Express), I like Ashes of Time the best.

For me, I've always been more of a big fan of Johnnie To (杜琪峯), with Sparrow (文雀) being my favourite Hong Kong film.

However, after watching this, I think this may be my favourite Hong Kong film, and obviously my favourite Wong Kar-wai film.

I know I'm late in terms of watching his films, but hey, better late than never, right?

For a Leap Day, this is a great way to celebrate and do something special: Enjoying stories of my home in the 90's.

Just enjoying the moment...

EDIT: Just realised it won Best Actor, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Picture from the 1995 Hong Kong Film Awards. Huh...well deserved. I actually did not know this.

submitted by /u/uhungma
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/fbaiwp/this_leap_day_i_decided_to_watch_chungking/

Comments