Saturday Night Fever was way darker than I thought

My dad has a copy of this on blu-ray... one of those films you always hear about, but just passed me by. Well, I threw it on, randomly I might add, and I was expecting a cheesy disco dance movie and to laugh at Travolta.

Wow, not at all what I thought it would be. This was a really dark and depressing film, and very well done might I add. A deep dive look into a meaningless working class life, drugs, Catholicism, poverty, suicide, sexual assault, and racism. The disco scenes were just like what they meant to Travolta's character, an escape from the bleak content around it. It ends on a sort of happy note, despite being proceeded by some real sad and bleak content.

Genuinely great film!

submitted by /u/BlackIsTheSoul
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ewi278/saturday_night_fever_was_way_darker_than_i_thought/

Comments