Memento and Me

I will not be talking much about the film itself but more about how it relates to a feeling I am going through.

Memento is my 2nd favorite movie of all time and by far, my favorite Nolan film. Not just because of how amazingly written, edited and structured. Not because it has a beautiful score that really reaches my heart strings and has plenty of cool details. I also love Memento because of how thematically resonates with me.

Despite saying that I do respect the opinion of others, I get scared when I get my opinion challenged or that somebody dares to change that perspective I just had for something, especially when it is something I believed for so long and became so dear to my worldview. When I want hold on to something so dearly, that becomes my only dedication. And when somebody calls it out, I feel attacked and I lose what I consider my meaning in my life. When it becomes too overwhelming, I try to avoid whatever tried to take that away from me and just create more distractions for myself to hold on to this precious rather than letting it go. The idea of losing it is just terrifying and puts me in a very hopeless state. It's like losing a vital part of yourself.

Memento is a story about the subjectivity of a person and about someone who has to live his life by avoiding whatever is trying to take away the goal/purpose of the character. Leonard wants revenge but he doesn't only want revenge. He wants a purpose. He wants to get away from something he finds unpleasant to face. In my case, my purpose are the beliefs I have for things currently and to protect them from outsiders.

Memento is a story that overtime, became even more relevant to my own life and made me realize that you do not need to have short term memory in order for Leonard to be so close to us as people.

Do I lie to myself to be happy?

submitted by /u/Gattsu2000
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ehm8vc/memento_and_me/

Comments