I don't understand Paul Thomas Anderson movies

For some reason I enjoy them very much. But I don't get these stories, I don't grasp the purpose of most scenes, I have trouble making sense of characters behaviour very often.

My favourite PTA film is Licorice Pizza for whatever reason. I can't really say what is the core of that story. Is it portait of 1970s America accentuated by coming of age story and toxic relationship of two young people? Is it story about what it means to be grown-up? I can't really say.

I even loved Inherent Vice. Out of all his works this one is a total trip for me, and I totally can't even say what was it about, what themes or messege does it convey...

Basically when I watch his movies I'm like "I dunno what am I seeing but I like it a lot". No other director has that effect on me.

submitted by /u/Firnen9
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/11bw9sh/i_dont_understand_paul_thomas_anderson_movies/

Comments