The over-use of background music and how it alters atmosphere and drowns out dialogue

I was watching Prey with my son the other day. I became really aware of the continuous background music. I've become more aware of this issue over the years because my son has auditory processing disorder (where more than one stream of audible input turns into white noise).

There are quite a few scenes in Prey where the protagonist is walking alone in the wilderness. I would loved to just hear the sounds of her surroundings (as I do myself when I'm walking somewhere beautiful).

I don't know why silence is so abhorrent to film makers. The ambient noise of the setting can add to the beautiful experience. Seems to miss a trick when it comes to establishing atmosphere and suspension of disbelief.

submitted by /u/CazzaMcSpazza
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/10iw8c5/the_overuse_of_background_music_and_how_it_alters/

Comments