Why haven't theaters started exploring the idea of showing classic movies in the post-Covid era?

Sorry if this has been asked before, just something I had been thinking about recently. With less and less people going to theaters nowadays in the age of streaming and a post-Covid world, I feel like showing classic movies/film series' would make a world of difference in bringing folks back to the theaters to experience their favorite movies in a theater setting. This could be a nationwide re-showing of movies or just individual theaters having events even a few times a week.

I imagine copyright has something to do with this, but I do remember some of my theaters showing older films during Covid to get at least some revenue coming in. For example I recall they were playing through each Harry Potter movie once a week at one point.

I don't know, it could just be me but I feel like I would 100% pay to experience Star Wars in theaters since I wasn't alive to see it in the 70s. It seems like a natural progression in the nostalgia dominated media industry we are in nowadays. They could even turn it into an event with like T-shirt giveaways and things like that. There's definitely still value in going to the movies as in my opinion the experience is lightyears better than watching any movie at home unless you are cool enough/rich enough to have a home theater system. What do you think?

EDIT: Just to add in my thoughts, in response to some comments, I think what I'm picturing in my mind is something where theaters turn these old movie showings into an EVENT like how some midnight showings are for blockbuster films. Make it appeal to the younger generation as well as older fans looking for the nostalgia trip, even something just like decorating a theater for a few months in order to enhance the experience would be cool. I don't know maybe I'm just dreaming, but I think if theaters/movie studios pushed the EXPERIENCE it could really work

submitted by /u/Bendyb3n
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/wtd2tz/why_havent_theaters_started_exploring_the_idea_of/

Comments