What movies had an actor outshine the big star?

Im not talking about someone who "carries" a movie like the dude you played Kano in the new Mortal Kombat. I mean a movie that headlined an award winning actor and even sold tickets purely because of that actor, only to be outshined by someone else?

I can think of 2 right off the top of my head.

Blood Diamond- I've heard many say this is in Dicaprios top performances and although I agree, I think Djimon Hounsou absolutely blew him out of the water. His acting was heart-wrenchingly good. He stole the screen in every scene he was in. He should have shot to stardom after that role imo (instead of being typecast as a supporting actor)

Catch me if you Can- Ironically another Dicaprio movie. Although this one in his favor. When this movie came out, Tom Hanks was already set in stone as a legend. You could have put his name on the cover of any movie and people would line up outside the door. Dicaprio was known, but still considered a rising star. In this movie Tom Hanks seemed like the comedic relief. His character was obviously important to the story, but I couldn't care less when the next time I saw him on screen was. His acting was frankly... disappointing compared to Dicaprio. He completely outdid Hanks in this one (if you purely compare performance to performance)

submitted by /u/TotallyUnbiased666
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/wv7kmg/what_movies_had_an_actor_outshine_the_big_star/

Comments