Lemme talk about Mitchell's VS The Machines for a bit.

This movie is fucking incredible, hot damn! I learned about it after watching (I think) NICKtendo's video about Clone High.

I started seeing ads for the movie a while later. I loved the art style immediately, however I was a tad turned off when I was reminded of it's title. It kinda seemed like it was gonna be a whole "technology is bad" ordeal, which I don't completely protest the fact that there's downsides to technology, but I was still disappointed. Flash forward a few months or so, about 30 mins ago, and one of my step-bros happened to want to watch it, and I happened to be in the room, so everyone but my other bro watched it.

The movie made it very clear not too far in that it was not doing a whole "technology is bad thing" as I had hoped it wouldn't. It handled it very well, by making the problem be consumers of tech rather than only creators of tech.

I also fucking died at the beginning. There was growing tension, and I thought I could hold it in, but christ, when baby Katie ran up to hug Rick's legs, everything just came out. Stuff like that destroys me, and that wasn't even the most relatable scene for me, yet it's still the only scene I cried at lol.

This movie is funny as fuck, and as it went on I would also realize that it was ALMOST one to one with what was going on in my family. To explain, my father and my step-bro (whom didn't join us for the film) have had an extreme beef with each other for years. This is mainly due to how my dad had treated him when he was younger. My dad is a great man, but he didn't start taking medications for his depression until a few years ago, after the damage was already done. He wasn't incredibly abusive or anything, but he definitely could get hostile. I was a super optimistic child, and I loved my dad unconditionally, but even I could tell when he was little unwired. My step-bro, being neither blood to my dad, nor being the youngest like my other bro, was a target for some of my dad's aggression. Middle bro is also a bit 'quirky', so that didn't help. Even once my dad obliterated most of those hostile attributes of his personality, things weren't getting better for him and middle bro. The two are both pretty damn socially inept, when it comes to reading others and word choice and tone of voice. I know they've never wanted to admit, but they are very similar in personality, which is something that was apart of Katie and Rick's relationship in the movie. And because they have had beef, and because of their social ineptness, they always had stayed as far away from each other as they could get away with. This lack of communication only worsened their relationship, because they never told each other why one was upsetting the other, so they would just immediately get angry with each other without understanding why the other thought the way they did or said things they way they did. (just like in the movie wowza!) Upsettingly, not me or anyone else in the family tired super hard to fix their relationship until very recently. Okay, well I'm a little glad I hadn't because I wouldn't of been able to get my point across properly. Only recently have I actually started to become, and I hate to say this, 'sophisticated'. Even then, I still have trouble explaining what I'm thinking. So me, my youngest bro, and my step-mom finally did something about it, in a sort of unformal family discussion, where we just said everything. The two are hopefully going to start working on fixing their relationship, for both them and the rest of the family. Although I worry slightly that middle bro may be pulling the same scheme that Katie did, when she explained she had only said nice things to keep herself moving forward. Eh, I'm positive, I think things will get better.

Anyway sorry for the monologue, point is this movie hit hard. It was awkward watching the movie at times, at no fault of the movie course, because we were all definitely picking up on the similarities to our lives, but we didn't say anything lmao. Of course it isn't %100 accurate to my family life, but it tackles themes I've never seen tackled before (maybe due to how little TV or movies I watch) that hit very hard and or were very personal.

Oh yeah, again this movie is funny as fuck. If I remember correctly, every bit and joke landed, and most landed strong. There's a lot of good meta-humor, and they very clearly understood everything they were talking about. NOTHING was remotely embarrassing or laughable for the wrong reasons. My only, albeit very minor, complaint was that the number of real things like YouTube and fucking Waffle House in this movie were a bit distracting, especially with the juxtaposition to fucking Good Get lmao. Although the Furby scene was amazing. Oh and also the robot shunning whoever about the rude robot stereotype LMAO.

Point is, movie good. Probably my favorite movie, up there with Kubo And The Two Strings. And one of my favorite pieces of media in general, up there with Dark Souls.

submitted by /u/Maxthemostcoolestguy
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/n2b089/lemme_talk_about_mitchells_vs_the_machines_for_a/

Comments